Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Day 10 - Driven

Driven
Eve Kenin


Raina Bowen knows she can handle herself just fine against anything the harsh Northern Waste throws at her. Until it throws her an enigmatic stranger called Wizard. First, she has to haul him out of a brawl he can't hope to win. And next, her libido is shooting into overdrive at the feel of his hard body pressed against hers on the back of her snowscooter. But there's something not quite right about this guy. Before she can strip bare Wizard's secrets, they're lured into a race for their lives, battling rival truckers, ice pirates...and a mercilessmaniac with a very personal vendetta.


Review

This is definitely a great addition to the Shomi line of books. Raina Bowen, a strong, kick-ass, independent woman is on a mission to win a trucking race for some big prize money in order to help out her sister, Beth. I immediately fell in love with her when she fended off advances from one of the truckers at the stop she was at while waiting for our male lead, Wizard. Her "stay outta my space" attitude was just strong and great to read.

Then she meets the extremely hot and mysterious Wizard. A guy who was supposed to be giving her some passes she needed in order to finish the race. However, she ends up pulling him out of a fight with the big bad rival truckers, the Janson. But Wizard isn't as helpless as Raina thought. He ends up having enhanced abilities that make him all the more alluring to her. Poor Raina. Throughout the entire book she becomes sucked in and drawn to Wizard. She puts up a pretty good fight, trying to knock some sense into her head and remind herself that she needs no one, but he's too irrestible.

I liked Wizard a lot too. I found him oddly cute with his short and robotic-like conversations with Raina. And watching him develop into such strong feelings for Raina was really nice. I loved following him as he found his emotions after being programmed his whole life to be an assassin.

And yes, there is a very hateable (I'm not sure that's even a word) bad guy. Duncan Bane. Scum of the Earth kinda guy. Loved having him in the book. Because it just emphasized how great the other characters were.

It was fast-paced with tons of action throughout the entire book that I really loved. And there were so many great and likeable characters thrown in there. The one thing that bugged the hell out of me though was the author, and her fetish with the word frig. I swear Raina said that word so many times I wanted to scream. I understand some people don't like cursing in books or in general. I personally don't mind it at all, I actually curse a lot ^_^. However, if she didn't want her heroine cursing, that's fine by me, but it really annoyed the crap out of me reading 'Frig this, Frig that, Frigging Hell, Frig, Frig, Frig" pretty much on every other page.

Just say fuck for jeepers sake. Which I will point out, Wizard does say, once...ugh.

But who knew I'd enjoy a book about trucking so much. Very different but in a good way. Overall I liked the book, anyone into the Shomi series will enjoy it as well (=


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, and discussions are more than welcome! Thanks so much for visiting. 8)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin