Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Day 89 - Wondrous Words Wednesday [2]

An idea I saw on bermudaonion's blog where we can share some new words we've come across in our readings. These are listed in the order I found them.

1. onerous - burdensome, oppressive, or troublesome; causing hardship.
First word found in Bite the Bullet, on page 2 nonetheless, sheesh. Anywho, the context clues in the sentence really allowed me to take a pretty good guess at what the word meant: "Suddenly the backpack she carried felt too heavy; it had become an onerous appendage just like her suffocating parka, thermals, boots, and jeans."

2. diatribe - a bitter, sharply abusive denunciation, attack, or criticism.
This is definitely a word that looks like it should mean something different, well to me at least. *shrugs* And I actually can't find the part in the book where I saw this word so I can't give the example sentence. Sorry =(

3. viscera - the organs in the cavities of the body, esp. those in the abdominal cavity.
Yum! : "Scant viscera and practically no meat left on the bones answered his questions."

4. vacillating - not resolute; wavering; indecisive; hesitating.
Upon reading this word I thought of an oscillating fan for some reason, maybe the similar spelling did it. I see I wasn't too far off : "A cold slap of air and the real dangers of an ambush, however, stopped her mind from vacillating."

5. adages - A saying that sets forth a general truth and that has gained credit through long use.
The sentence the word was in really gave the meaning away, which is a good thing : "What was the old saying, one of Xavier Holland's many adages...if it didn't kill you it would make you stronger?"

6. anathema - a person or thing detested or loathed.
This word was used to describe Sasha's strong connection and need of Hunter. Obviously, it's something that scares the be-jesus out of her.

2 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

Love the word diatribe. Try to use it as much as possible in everyday speech :)

Mishel (P.S. I Love Books) said...

Haha as do I. I was mad when I couldn't find the sentence it was used it. I apparently wrote the page number down but couldn't find the word... so I either skipped over the world (even though I read the page a couple times) or I wrote the wrong page number down.

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, and discussions are more than welcome! Thanks so much for visiting. 8)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin