Sunday, April 18, 2010

Gone

Gone
Lisa McMann

Series or Stand Alone: Wake trilogy, book three

Release Date: February 2010

Publisher: Simon Pulse

Pages: 224


My Rating: 3.75/5

Source: Purchased

Synopsis

Janie thought she knew what her future held. And she thought she’d made her peace with it. But she can’t handle dragging Cabel down with her.

She knows he will stay with her, despite what she sees in his dreams. He’s amazing. And she’s a train wreck. Janie sees only one way to give him the life he deserves: She has to disappear. And it’s going to kill them both.

Then a stranger enters her life — and everything unravels. The future Janie once faced now has an ominous twist, and her choices are more dire than she’d ever thought possible. She alone must decide between the lesser of two evils. And time is running out....

Review:

I shouldn't have waited so long to write my review of this book, or any book for that matter. I'm seriously working on getting reviews out a few days after I read the book, otherwise I really struggle to recall the things I liked or disliked about a book. I do know that I gobbled GONE done just like I did the previous two books. However, I didn't enjoy this one as much as I did the other two.

GONE is the final book in the Wake trilogy. I for one am sad to see the series end. The overall story is so unique to what I've read before and the writing style Lisa McMann chooses to use continuous to surprise me at how easy and enjoyable it is to follow. And while I didn't love GONE as much as I did the other two books, there are still many aspects of the book that I enjoyed.

Janie has grown and changed throughout the novels and to me, she's very different in GONE. I wasn't as attached to her as I used to be and that troubled me somewhat. Her relationship with the steady and reliable Cabel was nice to see although there are many rocky moments in the book for the couple, which is understandable. It's definitely easy to see where Janie and her feelings are coming from. She refuses to hurt Cabel and doesn't want him to waste his life with her but I still felt she needed to lighten up. Cable obviously loves her and I think he fully understands the consequences of all of his choices. I may be a little biased though, I happen to adore Cabel very much!!

The additon of Janie's father into the mix was interesting. It brought out qualities in Janie that I both liked and disliked. I got to see again how loyal Janie can be to those she comes to care about but I also saw a side of her that felt like she was giving up. It's tough to explain without giving away so many details so I'll leave it at that.

I was by no means disappointed with GONE. I just felt that GONE was a little different than the first two books and I'm still working on deciding if I like that fact or not. Either way the series is a hit for me. I've come to really enjoy Lisa McMann's writing and her story telling. I'm eagerly waiting to see what she has in store for us next. (Hopefully a revisit to Janie and Cable sometime in the future...ending be damned =) )


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, and discussions are more than welcome! Thanks so much for visiting. 8)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin