Friday, April 30, 2010

The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker

The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker
Leanna Renee Hieber

Series or Stand Alone: The Strangely Beautiful series, book two

Release Date: April 2010

Publisher: Leisure Books

Pages: 320

My Rating: 4.5/5

Source: Received for review from author


Synopsis
[from goodreads.com]:


With radiant, snow white skin and hair, Percy Parker was a beacon for Fate. True love had found her, in the tempestuous form of Professor Alexi Rychman. But her mythic destiny was not complete. Accompanying the ghosts with which she alone could converse, new and terrifying omens loomed. A war was coming, a desperate ploy of a spectral host. Victorian London would be overrun. Yet, Percy kept faith. Within the mighty bastion of Athens Academy, alongside The Guard whose magic shielded mortals from the agents of the Underworld, she counted herself among friends. Wreathed in hallowed fire, they would stand together, no matter what dreams or nightmares—may come.





Review:

I have to say I really enjoy Leanna Renee Hieber’s writing! It’s lyrical and filled with emotion and I find myself completely engrossed whenever I’m reading a passage. THE DARKLY LUMINOUS FIGHT FOR PERSEPHONE PARKER continues to tell the tale of Percy, the Guard, and the fight to keep the streets of London safe.

I loved the expansion on the Guard and its members. I felt that at the end of this book I had a much better feeling of who they were as people and what they contributed to the Guard. They are truly a magical group of characters that made the book a real treat. I also liked the relationships that were blossoming/continuing/growing between the couples of the Guard. Basically there was a lot more romance in this installment and it was a wonderful addition!

I must point out that I was slightly annoyed by the two main characters throughout the book. Alexi had this alpha male thing going on that bugged me. And Percy was so innocent and fragile that I was almost afraid for her. However, these traits are important parts of their character that makes sense eventually. I did enjoy when Percy finally developed a stronger voice and stood her ground at some points. I totally wanted to high five her and say “Damn right! You go girl!”

The hardships and emotional toll on the characters were evident in the book. Being a “supernatural” team that is responsible for so many people is a burden that none of them asked for and yet they strive to uphold. It was just so nice to see the characters fleshed out more, they are such an important aspect of the book.

I’m happy to report that this installment is also packed with a lot more action as well! Some scenes may just leave you breathless, so be prepared. Basically my opinion is to read the Strangely Beautiful series ASAP, you won’t be disappointed. Be sure to check out my review of THE STRANGELY BEAUTIFUL TALE OF MISS PERCY PARKER!

I want to send a special thank you to Leanna for contacting me when her first book came out and being generous enough to include me in the celebration of her second book. I can’t express how wonderful it’s been to work with her!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, and discussions are more than welcome! Thanks so much for visiting. 8)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin