Saturday, October 02, 2010

Review: The Human Bobby

The Human Bobby
Gabe Rotter

Series or Stand Alone: Stand Alone

Release Date: August 2010

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Pages: 320

Author Site: http://gaberotter.blogspot.com/

My Rating: 5/5

Source: Received for review from Newman Communications
 
Synopsis:
 
THE GRIPPING STORY OF THE UNRAVELING OF ONE MAN'S SEEMINGLY PERFECT LIFE, AND HIS STRUGGLE TO GET EVERYTHING BACK.

A new baby, a loving wife, a solid career, a dream house in Beverly Hills: Dr. Bobby Flopkowski has it all. Until a complicated series of events snowball into a disaster that changes the course of his life forever.

Now, with a tent on the beach as his only home and an addiction that has cut him off from everyone he once loved, Bobby has a revelation that could put him back on track: he believes he has solved the puzzling crime that led to his downfall. But as the reality he's always known slips farther away, will he be able to convince someone—anyone—that his suspicions aren't merely the pleas of a desperate man?

Review:

THE HUMAN BOBBY is easily my favorite read so far this year. When I closed up the book I was like “Holy Crap!” Yes folks, it was that good. (And no I didn’t say crap I flat out cussed just fyi) And to be honest it’s super easy to give too much of the book away in a review. So I’m going to seriously limit the details and try to get across my feelings to the best of my ability.

Bobby Flopkowski is the main character of the novel. With a last name like that you should definitely expect some fun! Okay, so not really but was very pleasant to find that Bobby was a fun character. Charming and cute he immediately won me over. I quickly became attached to him and I think a lot of readers will have a tough time NOT getting attached to him even when his life becomes unraveled.

Dr. Bobby has it all in the beginning. After meeting and marrying his equally charming wife, the two welcome a beautiful baby boy into the world and their Beverly Hills dream home. Dr. Bobby also practices pediatrics privately with one of his best friends and is in a nice financial comfort zone. Love, check. Successful career, check. Healthy child, check. Dr. Bobby couldn’t ask for more!

And then one day things slowly start to change. A woman from Bobby’s past comes back into his life and sets off a chain of events that will leave Bobby ultimately alone, with soul-eating addictions, living on the beach in a tent. You’re probably asking yourself “Well, what the hell happened to Bobby?” or you’re ticking off probable causes to Bobby’s fate because you think you can guess what happens. But let me just say before you even get started that YOU’RE WRONG! You may think you know what’s going on or what’s going to happen but you don’t. THE HUMAN BOBBY is gripping and is very fast-paced so please don’t fret because you won’t be held in suspense long. Quite frankly the story is heart-breaking. The reader has no choice but to pause and question reality without even knowing that they should.

I’m having a tough time not completely spilling my guts to you so let me quickly wrap up my review before I slip up. The book blew me away. It wasn’t just the ending that took me by surprise. The entire story was so gripping, like aliens-have-you-by-the-throat-gripping. Yeah, true story. I simply couldn’t stop reading. I had to know what happened to Bobby… and then when I did I was simply speechless. Read THE HUMAN BOBBY. It will take you on such an intense ride that you’ll come off saying “Woah. WTF just happened?”

 
 

2 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I think I'm going to have to read this. Loved your review, Mishel!

Mishel (P.S. I Love Books) said...

Mary I know you'll love this book!

And thanks so much for the comment. I was a little worried that my review was...well, suckish really haha. So thanks again!

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, and discussions are more than welcome! Thanks so much for visiting. 8)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin