Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Day 82 - Wondrous Words Wednesday [1]


I actually saw this on bermudaonion's blog and I thought it was an excellent idea. I find myself frequently coming across words in books that make me head over to dictionary.com. I thought it would be fun to share them with you.

These words are in order on how I found them. I just started Bad Blood and I'm surprised at all the words I've come across. I hope this doesn't become a trend - which would mean my vocabulary skills are lacking or I'll be learning a whole lot (most likely both) =D



1. altruism- the principle or practice of unselfish concern for or devotion to the welfare of others.
This word was found in The Host, on several occasions, describing Wanderer. I suspected the adjective was a positive one, even though the characters seemed to consider it a weakness. I suppose in the context of the story I can now understand their reasoning.

2. ebullient- overflowing with fervor, enthusiasm, or excitement; high-spirted.
Found in Bad Blood, and after reading the definition it seems a bit misplaced in the sentence. I would think a word that was "crooned" wouldn't be excitedly spoken *shrugs*: " 'So we finally meet again,' a warm, ebullient voice crooned close to her ear."

3. axiom - a self-evident truth that requires no proof.
Found in Bad Blood as well: "Never stare into their eyes, another training axiom, but she felt no compulsion from them."

4. aegis - protection; support.
Found in Bad Blood : "In fact, he probably wasn't from here, if he was a werewolf (which she still couldn't wrap her mind around), and could have aegis over a wider Asian territory that had indigenous wolf populations."

5. galvanic - startling; shocking; stimulating; energizing.
This was actually found in my philosophy textbook titled Archetypes of Wisdom. Again I was suspecting the adjective was a positive one and I was curious to know the meaning. The chapter this word was found in talks about Socrates.: "In any encounter with an archetypal individual, the power or force of the whole person is galvanic."

6. calumnies - a false and malicious statement designed to injure the reputation of someone or something.
Also found in my philosophy textbook. This was from Socrates' Apology during his trial.: "This inquisition has led to my having many enemies of the worst and most dangerous kind, and has given occasion to many calumnies."

7. apoplexy- a sudden, usually marked loss of bodily function due to rupture or occlusion of a blood vessel.
Another 'a' word from Bad Blood. Sheesh. This one stumped me, it really could have been any type of health problem or something to the same effect (= : "The intel she'd gotten from Shogun would definitely cause apoplexy."


Now let's see if I can use some of these in daily conversation lol

1 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

Love the word apoplexy and the adjective apoplectic. I always try to fit it into everyday conversation.

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, and discussions are more than welcome! Thanks so much for visiting. 8)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin