Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Dino Vicelli: Private Eye

Dino Vicelli: Private Eye In a World of Evils
Lori Weiner

Series or Stand Alone: Stand Alone (Sequel scheduled for 2010)

Release Date: June 2009


Pages: 98

My Rating: 2/5

Source: Received for review from Carol Fass Publicity & Public Relations


Synopsis [from goodreads.com]:

This story transports the reader to an alternate-reality version of New York City, in which talking dogs interact regularly with humans. The hero, Dino Vicelli, is a private investigator who just happens to be a sharply dressed Italian greyhound with a great fondness for cigars. He takes on what initially appears to be a routine missing person case but soon finds himself in the midst of a sinister plot that involves kidnapping, murder, and bizarre scientific experiments aimed at controlling the world. As he investigates this strange case, Dino repeatedly encounters mortal danger, while also finding romance with a beautiful blonde Afghan dog.

With its unusual twists on the traditional detective story genre, this book blends elements of humor, suspense, and fantasy into a truly unique and entertaining tale.


Review:

I actually received an email promoting this book and jumped at the chance. The blurb grabbed my attention and I haven't read too many books with animals as the main characters. I was really looking forward to reading this detective/mystery book but found myself a little let down when it was all over.

The story itself was pretty good. Dino is the main character who happens to be a greyhound. He can talk, walk on two legs, and dresses considerably well for a canine. He owns his own private investigation company in New York City where it's talking dogs live right along side humans.

Dino gets hired for a case that is much more than it first appears to be. He meets some pretty interesting characters along the way (mostly all dogs as well) as he searches for his client's missing wife. The mystery unravels into a bigger story that threatens to take Dino down if he's not too careful.

I didn't know the book was as short as it was until I received it, so I suppose I should have expected a very simple, short, and to-the-point novel. However, my brain just didn't work that way. I wanted more depth and development from the story point of view, from the characters, etc. I don't fault the author at all for my disappointment in the novel, it was much more of a personal preference. DINO VICELLI was very entertaining and an entirely interesting and unique spin on the PI world. I recommend it for dog lovers and anyone who wants a quick escape into a different kind of world =)




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, and discussions are more than welcome! Thanks so much for visiting. 8)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin